Poor posture is a direct consequence of a modern lifestyle. Poor posture can add years to an individual’s appearance without the slightest hint to the individual.
It’s likely that you may have poor posture and not know it, unless a physical therapist or an exercise professional points it out.
This is exactly where we at ActivBody Physical Therapy in Orange, CA, help you. Our experienced staff of physical therapists in Orange, CA, can alleviate poor posture, help restore muscle balance and proper joint alignment.
Causes of poor posture:
- Habit: The unnatural postures of sitting at work, standing with uneven weight distribution, leaning forward with a rounded back tend to add up and cause a permanent, unnatural alignment of the spine.
- Injury: If your back, neck, or shoulder muscles have been injured, you may find it challenging to sit up straight. Injury or weakness in certain muscles can force you to slouch due to pain.
- Stress: Physical stress, where we exert ourselves beyond our capacity can trigger incorrect posture.
- Genetics: Unfortunately, poor posture can be passed from generation to generation.
- Shoes: Inappropriate footwear can lead to generalized back pain, hip / knee pain, and postural problems. Wearing comfortable shoes are essential for most activities.
Tips to keep you from getting injured:
- Try to stretch prior to physical exertion.
- When pushing, pulling, or lifting, always take advantage of the strength in your legs, taking special care not to rely on your back for power.
- To lift a box, bend your knees and pull the box close to your stomach. If the box is on the floor, don’t bend over to pick it up; even light boxes pose a hazard if they are picked up incorrectly.
With any activity, it is always a good idea to keep your back straight as often as possible.
Poor posture can also be an indicator of a more serious spinal condition, such as Scoliosis. Scoliosis may be present from birth, or it may develop over time, although in most cases, its true cause is not fully understood.
Scoliosis can be very painful because it causes misalignment throughout the entire body It may be diagnosed as the result of rib, hip and shoulder problems, muscle variations in the back, or nerve dysfunction.
Practice Makes Perfect!
If you experience aches and pains as a result of poor posture, a good starting point is to try and correct your posture one day at a time. At work, place a small reminder on your computer, desk, or workspace to keep you aware of your position, especially if you will be sitting for extended periods of time.
Self-awareness is part of the solution. If your body has found its way into an unnatural “comfort zone“, remind yourself to sit up straight. We at ActivBody Physical Therapy in Orange, CA, will evaluate you to determine what must be done to restore optimum posture and to relieve aches and pain. Doing so will allo you to function better and breathe more efficiently (plus, it looks better!).
Physical therapy in Orange, CA, is a proven solution for poor posture and associated aches and pains. Our skilled staff of physical therapists will provide you with a precise, targeted exercise plan (and tips on exercises to avoid) to restore optimum posture.
We will also teach you the correct ways to sit and stand, move and lift items, get in and out of bed and exercise/breathing techniques to minimize strain on your joints.
Overall, the best way to prevent unwarranted injury is by using common sense and maintaining good posture.
Give us a call at ActivBody Physical Therapy in Orange, CA. Good posture is what the human body was designed for, and that’s exactly what we can help you achieve!